Sunday, January 2, 2011

Orange Chicken & a Multi-grain Pilaf

We eat a lot of chicken and rice at our house, and we BBQ all year round.  This just happened to be dinner the other night (plus a vegie), so I thought I'd pass it along.  All my kids will even eat both of these.  I cook the multi-grain pilaf in a rice cooker, but it will also work on the stove.  We grilled the chicken, but you can also cook it in the oven.

Orange Chicken Marinade
½ c. orange juice
1/3 c. honey/agave
¼ c. lemon juice
¼ c. soy sauce(make sure it is gf)
2 T. fresh ginger
2 T. chopped garlic
½ t. pepper
¼ t. salt
Mix together and place in Ziploc bag with chicken breasts.  Marinate several hours or over night.  Grill.
I always pound my chicken breasts until they are fairly thin and then cut them in half.  When you do this and marinate for several hours your chicken will be extra yummy and full of flavor!  If you are going to bake them, just place the chicken in baking dish, pour a little marinade over the top and bake at 350 for 25-35 min. or until chicken is done.

Multi-Grain Pilaf


2 T. oil
¾ c. white basmati rice(or any white rice will do)
¾ c. quinoa(rinsed and drained)
3 c. chicken broth(I always use Costco's Organic Better than Bouillon + required water and then I add some extra bouillon for some great flavor)
½ c. dried cranberries
¾ c. pine nuts
Salt and pepper to taste



In a large saucepan, heat oil and add rice and quinoa – toast.  Add broth and bring to boil.  Reduce to low and simmer 15-20min or until liquid is absorbed.  Add cranberries and nuts, fluff and serve.
**I always cook mine in my rice cooker.  I toast the grains, then according to my rice cooker's amounts, I do a cup of rice and a cup quinoa and add the required amount of broth.  It will cook as white rice.  then fluff and add remaining ingredients.   It turns out perfect every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment