Thursday, January 13, 2011

Homemade Granola Bars


Having 5 kids and needing snacks as we run out the door, these granola bars do the trick.  They travel on vacations, up mountains, in lunchboxes, diaper bags and anywhere we go.  I know there are a lot of  "healthy" granola bar recipes out there, but I need a granola bar that tastes good, and one that my kids (and me) will eat.  I am the picky one and you won't see a lot of nuts and stuff in my recipes.  The recipe is versatile and you however, may add all your healthy nuts and seeds to your hearts content.


Granola Bars
2 c. GF oats
2 c. rice/corn chex(or any cereal you like)
1/2 c. rice krispies (make sure they are gf)
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. flax meal, or 2 T. chia seeds
In a ziploc bag, crush the chex with a rolling pin.  Add them to a large mixing bowl along with the oats, rice krispies, chocolate chips and seeds.  In a small saucepan combine brown sugar and honey and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Stir in peanut butter and vanilla; blend until smooth.
Pour over cereal mixture; mix well and press(I mean really press firmly) into a 13" x 9" pan(lightly spray with non-stick spray)  Cool(a few hours),then cut into bars.  I end up getting 16 bars out of one pan.  I then cut some foil, wrap them up, and store in a Ziploc bag.  I usually double this recipe and mass produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment