Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Gluten Free Teff Muffins

We eat a lot of muffins/sweetbreads at our house.  Most of them are on the sweet side, so I thought I needed to come up with a non-sweet muffin to complement soup, salad, or whatever.  I love the grain teff because it is packed with nutrients and tastes great, so I went in search for a teff muffin and this is what I came up with.  I would compare them to a bran muffin.  They are pretty plain, but great with some butter, jam, or whatever you like.  They have a great texture and went perfect with our favorite vegetable beef soup. 

Teff Muffins
adapted from Ginger Lemon Girl

1 1/2 c. teff flour
1/2 c. arrowroot flour/tapioca flour
1/4 c. flax meal
1/2 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/4 c. brown sugar
4 eggs
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. nonsweetened applesauce
1 c. milk(I used 3 T. lite coconut milk + water = 1 c.)
Whisk together dry ingredients.  In a blender, or another bowl, mix wet ingredients.  Pour wet ingredients into dry ones and stir until combined.  Pour into greased/lined muffin tins.  This batter is on the runnier side.  Makes 18.  Bake at 350 for 25 min. or until done.

This is linked to Linda's Gluten-Free Wednesdays & Allergy-free Wednesdays.  They both have a lot of great recipes to check out!


  1. I love teff. Will have to give these a try.

  2. Thanks for checking out my blog, I hope you like them!

  3. These look great. I am thinking of cutting more sugar out of my diet and was going to play around with muffin recipes. You read my mind. :) Did you use any gums in with your flour or does the flax keep it all held together?

  4. No gums needed in this recipe, they have a great texture and hold together great. I'm sure you could switch out the sugar to honey/agave if you wanted, but maybe add a couple TBS. extra flour to compensate for the liquid sweetner. Let me know how it works. Hope you like them!

  5. Yummy! I know we both LOVE teff...and these look like a great side for dinner!

  6. Thanks so much for linking up to Allergy-Free Wednesday. Hope to see you next week.

  7. Oh Boy, we are BIG fans of teff in our house! Every weekend we make our banana teff (and allergy-friendly) pancakes. They are a favorite. These muffins look incredible. Thanks for a great recipe!

    Be Well,

  8. I used to love bran muffins so the fact that you compare these to bran muffins has me interested in trying them. I haven't used teff flour much, but I do have some. Thanks for sharing at Gluten-Free Wednesdays!

  9. These are so yummy, nutritious, and easy on the tummy! I sweetened this with coconut sugar in place of brown sugar. Thanks for this recipe.

  10. We are additionally sending out other unique items everywhere throughout the world. We are known for the most part for our entrenched global exchanges of Teff and working together principally in the business sectors of USA, Europe, Middle East, India and China. We offer amazing items and incredible transportation administration.