Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tomato Basil Quinoa

I know it has been a while since I have made a post.  #1 - our lives were crazy so I took a break from life, & #2 - I have made a lot of simple summer recipes without a recipe and need to keep better track of what I use!  I love summer for that very reason.  This is the time of year we get to eat a lot of yummy salads and pastas with garden fresh vegies and herbs.  When I think of summer, I think of quinoa.  Quinoa with fresh vegetables, herbs, light, healthy, filling, and yummy.  Even my husband likes my quinoa salads.  I was trying to use up my garden vegies and this combo came to me.  I knew it would be good, like a twist on a caprese salad, or a tomato, cucumber salad, or something like that.  I tried to measure the best I could, but please adjust according to your taste buds.  Make this soon while everything is so fresh.   Hope you like it!  So simple, so fresh, so good!

Tomato Basil Quinoa
2 c. prepared quinoa(cooked in chicken/vegie broth)
I cook my quinoa in my rice cooker according to the white rice setting.  It always comes out perfect!
2 diced tomatoes
1 diced cucumber
2 T. olive oil
1/4c. + crumbled feta cheese(this takes it up a notch)
2-4 T. freshly chopped basil
salt and pepper, to taste

Prepare the quinoa according to whatever method you prefer.  In a medium bowl, place in tomatoes and cucumbers and drizzle with olive oil and a little salt and pepper.  Add the feta cheese and then add the warm quinoa(it tastes great when the warm quinoa slightly melts the cheese, infusing everything with flavor).  Sprinkle with fresh basil and toss.  Add any more salt, pepper, or whatever ingredients you feel like.   

This is linked to Linda's Gluten free Wednesdays and Tessa's Allergy Free Wednesdays.  Check out all the great recipes, they are great resources!

1 comment: