Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Gluten Free Lemon Crinkle Cookies(Dairy Free Too!)

Sorry about the picture, I couldn't figure out how to turn it!

My daughter loves lemon, and one day as I was looking at a great food blog, I spotted this recipe and knew I had to try them.  I revamped the recipe to be gluten and dairy free and then put my daughter to work.  They were a hit.  Thanks to Mel's Kitchen Cafe for the great recipe.


Lemon Crinkle Cookies
6 T. shortening(Organic Spectrum, it actually cooks better than the other stuff, plus it is healthier)
1 c. sugar

1/2 t. vanilla
1 egg
1-2 t. freshly grated lemon zest
1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking powder
1/8 t. baking soda
1 t. xanthan gum
1/2 c. tapioca flour
1/2 c. sorghum flour
1 T. coconut flour
6 T. millet flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla, egg, lemon zest and juice and mix well.  In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients(except powdered sugar) and add to mixture.  Mix until just combined.  Place powdered sugar in shallow bowl.  Roll balls of dough in powdered sugar and place on baking sheets(sprayed or silpat lined).  Bake at 350 for 9-11 min.  The cookies will not be browned but will have lost a bit of their shininess, don't overbake.  Cool and enjoy.  I usually like a warm cookie, but I think these ones might be better cool, try them both ways.  Makes 18.


These are linked to Linda's Gluten Free Wednesdays and Laura's Allergy Free Wednesdays!

2 comments:

  1. Bob loves all things lemon too. Will have to try these as a special treat for him.

    ReplyDelete