Monday, January 9, 2012

Gluten Free Minestrone Soup

It is soup season at our house.  I especially love soups I can put together in the morning and only have to add a finishing touch(pasta) before eating.  My life is chaotic, especially right before dinner!  This soup is easy to put together and good to eat.  Last year when I had surgery, a good friend brought me this delicious soup and it has been a favorite ever since.  I like "vegetarian style" - it really isn't vegetarian because I add lots of beef bouillon, but I don't love ground meat in my soups.  Either way you like it, is just fine.  For those of you who have used gluten free pasta, you know it will go mushy over time if it just sits in broth.  When I make this soup I take out 1/2 of it before I add the pasta, and freeze it in a gallon freezer bag.  When I go to use it, all I have to do is boil some pasta and we are set with a hearty soup.  I say this with just about every recipe, but use whatever ingredients/spices you like or don't like, make it is thick or brothy, let your imagination run wild!  This soup is naturally dairy and soy free!
Minestrone Soup


6 c. water
4 carrots, chopped
2 stalks, celery, chopped
2 sm onions, chopped
1-12 oz. can tomato sauce
1 qt. tomatoes, blended
1 ½ T. parsley
2 t. oregano
1 t. basil
1 T. sugar
2 T. beef bouillon, 3T. if using no meat(I like the Better than Bouillon Organic Beef)
½ lb. browned and drained sausage or ground beef(optional)
1 can green beans, drained (I usually use a handful of frozen)
1 can red beans, drained
½ pkg. Tinkyada gluten free pasta, cooked 2 min. less


In a large pot mix everything but green beans, red beans and pasta.  Simmer several hours(about 2) until vegies are tender.  Add beans and cook an additional 15 min.  Cook pasta according to pkg. directions, drain, and add right before serving.  This goes awesome with my dinner rolls.
*This is linked to Linda's Gluten Free Wednesdays, check it out for some great recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment