Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Enchilada Casserole - Vegetarian Style

I have wanted to post this recipe forever because we eat it all the time, the problem is that I don't follow a recipe, I just dump!  This is my best guess, so don't hold me to it.  We love these for several reasons - they are fast - they are easy - they can easily be made dairy free/full of dairy at the same time - they are full of protein & fiber without the meat, and it is a cheap meal.  I always made these with ground beef, cooked in taco seasoning, but one day I decided to branch out and try lentils cooked in taco seasoning instead.  I figured they would have the same flavor, they would add a similar texture and I love lentils.  I didn't tell my husband and decided to see if he noticed.  He didn't noticed and even when I told him, he loved it just the same.  So now we usually eat this vegetarian style, but if you love your meat, or hate lentils, throw some seasoned ground beef in instead.  Also, everything is dairy free except the cheese, so I just leave a corner without cheese for my kids who can't have any.  My other kids can handle a little dairy and love cheese, so this is a great option because there is no creamy sacue laden with milk, and the cheese makes everyone happy.
Enchilada Casserole - Vegetarian Style
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can red enchilada sauce(Make sure it is gluten free- stay tuned for an easy homemade version)
1 c. salsa, give or take
½ c.dry lentils cooked in 2 c. water + 1-2T. taco seasoning(depending if yours has fillers or not)
Cheddar cheese, grated, probably 2 cups
12 corn tortillas
2 eggs, beat very well

Before hand, bring 2 c. water and 1 T. taco seasoning to a boil, add ½ c. lentils, reduce to simmer, cover and cook 20-25 min. until tender.  In a large bowl, mix beans, lentils enchilada sauce and salsa.  Grate cheese.  Cut corn tortillas into bite size pieces.  Layer 1/3 tortillas, ½ bean mixture, 1/3 cheese mixture, tortillas, beans, cheese, tortillas, cheese.  Pour well beaten eggs evenly over the top.  Bake 350 for 30 min.
* If you are wondering about the eggs, they add extra protein, moisture, and a delicious crunchiness on top!
* If you love meat, throw it in and leave out the lentils, or leave in the lentils also.

**Check out other great recipes at Linda's Gluten Free Wednesdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment