Monday, August 1, 2011

Homemade Freezer Jam

I am a jam snob; I cannot eat store bought jam!  I was raised on homemade wheat bread with homemade jam and I continued this tradition with my own family(until I realized the pain I was causing with the bread!)  Once you have homemade jam you can't go back.  For those of you who already make your own jam, this can be your reminder.  For everyone else, I want you to know how easy freezer jam is to make.  I can make a batch of raspberry jam in 5 minutes, no joke.  There are a lot of pectin's out there and basically the box will give you the recipe.  I have tried several brands and now only use Ball, instant pectin.  The main reason is for the sugar content, Ball uses much less sugar than any other brand.  I know there are low sugar pectins out there but when I tried them my jam didn't always set up.  Use whatever you can find, or the brand you prefer and get to work.  There are only 3 steps and here they are(amounts based on Ball Instant Pectin):

Homemade Freezer Jam
1- wash and mash fruit(3 1/3 c.mashed fruit)
2- mix sugar and pectin in a bowl(1 1/3 c. sugar + 1/4 c. pectin)
3-add fruit to sugar mixture and stir for 3 minutes
Pour into containers, let sit out for 30 minutes, then freeze or refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment