Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Southwest Chicken & Rice


This is my "go to meal" when I need something quick, healthy, and yummy.  I always have the ingredients on hand, plus all my kids will eat this.  Dinner is done in 20 minutes - you can't beat that!
Southwest Chicken and Rice

2-3 Chicken breasts, cut into long strips(or chunked or whole or whatever you like)
1 c. salsa(mild, med, or hot - you decide)
1 pkg. taco seasoning(I use a southwest blend that doesn't have fillers- like milk, sugar, and extra junk- therefore it is more potent so I use between 2-3 T.  But if you buy the regular stuff from the store use a packet or 1/4 c.)
2 c. water
Bring the above mixture to a boil in a large skillet.  Simmer 10-15 min.(or until chicken is done)  Return to boil and add:    
2 c. minute rice(I have used brown rice with great results, I usually just cook it longer until all the moisture is absorbed)
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
Simmer 5 min.(or until water is absorbed).  If you do dairy,  sprinkle with cheese, sourcream, or whatever you dairy loving souls do.  It is great dairy free.

No comments:

Post a Comment