Monday, February 21, 2011

The Best Gluten Free Multigrain Bread Yet!

As you know, bread is always a work in progress, and I think I change the recipe every time.  Linda at Gluten Free Homemaker is hosting a challenge this month of making a loaf of bread.  I already had a decent recipe, but was determined to make it healthier and of course delicious.  I used most the grains in my cupboards and this time threw in some Chia meal.  I use Chia seeds daily in smoothies, but I have never ground it and used it as flour.  The results were great, or maybe we are really warped!  I think the Chia and Flax improved the texture the most and of course made it really healthy.  By adding the seeds I was able to cut back the starch and still have a light bread.  Don't let this long list of ingredients stop you.  I think using lots of different flours is what makes it so great, and it really doesn't take long to put together.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Multigrain Bread
1 c. warm water
1 T. sugar
1 T. yeast
1/3 c. millet flour
1/3 c. teff flour
1/3 c. potato starch
1/2 c. sorghum flour
1/4 c. corn flour(finely ground)
2 T. flax meal
1 T. chia meal
1 t. salt
2 1/2 t. xanthan gum
2 T. shortening(or butter)
1/2 t. apple cider vinegar
1 egg
In a small bowl mix warm water, sugar, yeast and let sit.  Meanwhile, in a stand mixer, combine dry ingredients. Mix.  Add shortening, vinegar, egg and mix until course crumbs.  When the yeast mixture is nice and foamy, pour into the flour mixture.  Beat for 1-2 min.  Batter will be thick and sticky.  Scoop into greased bread pan, 81/2 x 41/2, cover with foil sprayed so it doesn't stick, and let rise.  When just above the pan, place in a 375 oven and bake for 50 min.  Cover with foil part way through if you prefer a lighter crust.  Let cool and enjoy.  This will also make 12 rolls.  Just scoop into muffin tins, let rise, and bake for about 25 min.

*In the winter my house isn't very warm, so I usually heat my oven to 170, place a pan with water on the bottom rack, turn off the oven and place the bread in to rise.  The water helps the dough from drying out.  This will only take 15-30 min. to rise.  Then I remove the foil, turn the oven back on to 375 and let it bake.

**Feel free to substitute other flours, these are just our favorite and what I have on hand.  Substitute starch for starch.  The other flours can be substituted for other similar flours.  If you don't have chia, just use additional flax.  Let me know how it goes.  I have also used butter and it works great but I need to make things dairy free.  I love the Spectrum palm shortening if you have never tried it!

9 comments:

  1. That bread looks fantastic! I've tried making my own bread a few times, but haven't really thought about making it again. I might try this though as it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your multigrain bread looks so good! It looks like it has a fantastic texture! Can't wait to try it.

    I monkey around with my bread recipes every time, too. As often as people tell me I should write a book, I know that I never could because I don't keep my recipes static. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't teff make wonderful bread? I'm still a little leary of it. I'm not sure why. :(

    I use flax in my bead too. So yummy and healthy! Looks delish. Thanks for sharing.

    Jessie (p.s. I'm a 5x mom too soon, you should check out my mommy blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for checking out my recipe. Let me know what substitutions work or don't work for you. If you don't like a grain, just add more of another one you like. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody is using teff flour in their bread these days. I guess I need to find some! This looks great. Thanks for participating in the monthly challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so tasty and soft inside. I believe I will have to give it a try! Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy!! I made this a couple of hours ago...delicious!! I finally opened my bag of teff flour that I didn't really know what to do with :) Thank you for sharing the recipe :)

    ~Susannah

    www.homeschoolblogger.com/sevensisters

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susannah-
    I'm so glad you liked it. Thanks for trying it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about gluten free breads. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about gluten free breads. Keep it up! This is a good read. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well.
    A growing body of evidence suggests that a majority of people with celiac disease and following a gluten-free diet can safely consume pure oats in moderate amounts. Studies have indicated, however, that the commercial oat supply in Canada and other countries is contaminated with other grains.
    These wholegrain breads use whole rice, whole corn and millet as main ingredients. They are slow baked at a low temperature to maintain important nutrients and minerals. According to the European tradition, they have a firm texture; they do not try to be fluffy or spongey.

    ReplyDelete