Monday, September 5, 2011

Gluten Free Lemon Bars

The other day as I sat thinking about food, it hit me that I needed to make lemon bars.  I haven't made these for years, but when I thought of the recipe I knew it would be an easy gluten free makeover.  I subbed out the flour, cut out some fat and that is about it!  I wanted them to taste like shortbread so I kept my flours pretty neutral, however, this recipe should be flexible to use whatever flours you like.
Lemon Bars

1/3 c. softened butter
¼ c. tapioca starch
¼ c. millet flour
¼ c. sorghum flour
¼ c. potato starch
½ t. xanthan gum
¼ c. powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 c. sugar
½ t. baking powder
¼ t. salt
2 T. lemon juice

Mix butter, flours & starches, xanthan gum & powdered sugar.  Press into greased 9x9 pan.  Bake at 350 for 20 min.  Meanwhile, in mixer, beat together remaining ingredients until fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Pour over crust and return to oven and bake for 25 min.  Let cool and sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.  Best if refrigerated.
*Easily adaptable to dairy & soy free, just sub out the butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment